It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:10 am

Welcome
Welcome to rfobasic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today. **You are not required to provide truthful information to any registration questions. Be whomever you wish to be.!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: RFO-BASIC! Editor, based on Jota
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:01 am 

Hi all, just a quick note to tell what I've been up to these last days.

I was able to tune, recompile and run a RFO-BASIC! flavoured of the Jota Text Editor (the original one, open source Apache license, not closed Jota+)

It works great!
I will work on it to offer syntax highlight for BASIC! as well as direct "RUN" feature (and soon, "compile" ^^)

If some people are interested to beta-test, please let me know in this topic.

Nicolas

PS: same as original Jota editor, it is multi-language and highly configurable, with favorite buttons, key shortcuts, etc...

[edit] Not Jota but 920 in the end. Available here

Report this post

Post subject: Re: RFO-BASIC! Editor, based on Jota
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:30 am 

I am interested

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:15 am 

Sounds a very interesting project Nicolas, I must admit I never heard of Jota until it was mentioned in these forums, neither have I used it, so far.

Novice questions to ask; Will the Editor be included in the APK when it is built? Or will this be removed to keep the package as small as possible? Would you consider including a code optimizer option for interpreter speed/package size? When you say "compile" I assume this means the compile an APK on your phone project you have previously mentioned?

Thanks, Mog

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:24 am 

Hi Nicolas

I would like to have a look at it

Regards Roy

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:25 am 

were talking jota for android? i've been considering what it would take to create a code editor from scratch, but if you have one whipped up that would be a boon! i was actually half considering going into the source code and seeing if i could make a night version of basic! console, that would be a good 80% satisfaction :D . Beta us!

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:52 am 

No the new editor won't be included in the apk at first. It won't change anything to the BASIC! apk structure (so it answers your other question Mog: no code optimizer option for interpreter speed/package size, this is a whole other subject, not covered here).

First version: the new editor will be an independent app, you will use it to write your BASIC! program, then launch this program (pass it) to the RFO-BASIC! interpreter. Incidentally I will have to build a mechanism to get the error line from the BASIC! interpreter in case of error and position to this line when going back to the new editor... Still to be done.

Second version: I plan to merge it with current BASIC!, to replace the current very basic (!) editor... Much bigger work.

Parallel work (probably again another version): compilation on device (the one I mentioned before). Nothing to do with the editor code per se, but editor will have to be adapted to include a "compile" menu option (whichever editor we're talking, current one or new one). The core behind the compilation still needs to be done, that's another project I'm working on in parallel.

Addyish: yes, Jota for Android. But for clarity, we are talking "editor", not "console", right?

Mog: in order to keep the user apk as small as possible, it would be indeed a good thing to remove the native editor in the apk. I should work on that anyway since it can't be used in a BASIC! APK, even today, that's a smart idea thanks for proposing it (added to my ToDo).

All: I'm not yet committed on the editor itself! I might drop Jota soon in favor of another one. I get frequent segmentation faults with some of Jota's native libs compiled with the NDK, the editor crashes suddenty, it's a no-go for me...

I recompiled and tested 920 text editor), I find 920 has a much nicer UI and is much more stable. No crash so far. I'll re-do the RFO-BASIC! tuning I have done on the Jota editor.

I'll keep you posted, probably more news to come this week-end (nothing planned except rest/computer)

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:43 am 

Nicolas, not my idea I'm afraid - I refer to this post...

standalone-apks-and-units-t2432.html

The idea of removing the Editor was proposed by Alberto.

And there was some reference to removing the Editor by Marc.... it just stuck in my mind, that's all...

Thanks for answering my questions.

Enjoy the long weekend...!

Mog

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:05 am 

Don't be afraid, even if it's not your idea in the first place ;)

When Alberto mentioned it back in May 2013, I was a newbie in Android building. Now I feel confident enough to dig in the code and strip the Editor. I'll try it this week-end, should be fun!

Anyway even if it manages to be done, we will gain (tbc how much) on the apk size, but nothing at all on the apk memory usage or speed.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:00 am 

Jota is not a Win app?. If so, I am not interested for the moment. I will keep working on my RFO editor for Win.
;-)

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:04 am 

:lol:
No Gika, we're talking improved Android editors here! ;)

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next