It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Welcome
Welcome to rfobasic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today. **You are not required to provide truthful information to any registration questions. Be whomever you wish to be.!

Post subject: A more formal introduction
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:59 am 

My first post here was actually a question, and I figured it might be somewhat of a faux pas not having introduced myself first. I'm Mark, I've been into computers since the early '80s. I taught myself assembly language on the Apple //e. In fact, I got kicked out of my computer class for knowing more than the teachers. Their exact words, "There's nothing in our curriculum you don't already know." I was thinking, "That's the point... I want at least one class I can totally grease." So I ended up in French 101, which I totally did not grease.

Long story short, I like programming as a hobby (personal fave: Liberty Basic), but the Android I play with is generally programmed in Java, which I passionately hate for multiple reasons: It is the language for people who love typing more than they like programming. How much code should one have to type to get "Hello, World!". Java's answer? "It's an experiment to see how much typing a person is willing to do for a simple task." Java is the Milgram Experiment of modern programming.

So even though programming on an Android phone is like texting a passionate love letter to the person you hate most, in Klingon, while wearing oven mitts, I'd still rather do it in BASIC. RFO really is awesome in that you can write apps in basic easier and more flexible than Java.

So, please excuse any stupid questions. I'm not a beginner in programming, just new to this particular dialect.
Peace to all,
Mark

Report this post

Post subject: Re: A more formal introduction
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:42 am 

:lol:
well put! (or I should say "touché"), welcome Mark!

Nicolas

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:40 am 

Welcome to the forum, Mark

Regards Roy

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 pm 

Welcome here Mark :)

What's the "French 101" ?
For me the "French" language was a programming language created by the FranceTelecom's R&D (maybe around 1983) and dedicated to manage the big database of all links between people and their telephone commutator...

Cheers

Gilles

Galaxy A3, 1280x720, Android 6.0.1

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:34 am 

Thanks all, great to be here! Gilles, I apologize for my apparent misleading. French is a language created by snotty hygiene-challenged people who live on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. I was trying to say I was overqualified for all their computer classes and had to settle for the only elective class that still had an open seat.

Peace,
'Noob

Report this post