It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:44 am

Welcome
Welcome to rfobasic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today. **You are not required to provide truthful information to any registration questions. Be whomever you wish to be.!

Post subject: Tab, tab
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:38 pm 

Hi All,

I have created a template for using tabs in RFO Basic!
The source can be found here : http://laughton.com/basic/programs/utilities/Tabs/source/EmptyTabs.bas
Up to 6 tabs can be used. Most attributes are easily changed to your own wishes.

Since an empty App is pretty boring I also made an App using the above template (with 4 tabs).
Of course it takes some manipulations for having the desired things in front of the tabs. :mrgreen:
The contents of the tabs are meant to be examples only, although the little game I made up by myself. To make it more appealing.... :D
This App can be found here : http://laughton.com/basic/programs/utilities/Tabs/source/Tabs.bas
You will need the data files located here : http://laughton.com/basic/programs/utilities/Tabs/data/ and place them
in directory "../../Tabs/data/"

Have fun !

Aat

When Sod's Law equals Murphy's Law you are bound to be on the right track....!

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Tab, tab
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:46 am 

Very nice Aat ;)

Regards Roy
Attachment:
TabSnap.PNG
TabSnap.PNG [ 201.2 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:40 am 

Well done Aat 8-) :idea:

And Roy are you ploughing with Aat's oxen now ? :lol:
Nice Roy, always quick on it, hungry to code hey. :D

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:45 am 

Thanks, Roy, Emile,

Thanks for placing a screenshot......and I love the expression "ploughing with ....oxen" :lol:
Though the meaning is obvious, I had never heard of it before!

Regards, Aat

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:43 pm 

From the screenshot roy shared of it in action looks really awesome.

Now a question for you Aat if I may?

Is this tab function you shared, a free use function, to adopt as a standard method of doing for the community of developers?

Because I had an issue with someone before who had shared a sqrt function when it was a lone test program of his.
This person told the forum members we were welcome to use it. It was sleek fast algorythm for the language, easy to use, so many of us adopted the function for use. About 2 years later this guy released a paid package of his function library along with a licence notice that any code using functions contained in his library was his sole property. Now it wasn't an issue those who hadn't released compiled commercial programs. But you can imagine the feeling of beeing told you owe all of your income over its lifetime of a project.

After that situation, we adopted a "bland example function only" policy. there after we only shared our main source file excluding any includes to prevent this issue. unless the function is considered free use, full license.. I haven't seen this subject discussed yet on this forum but I can tell you nobody will like the issue to sneak up on them. I think the intent of licence should be a part of any code shared.in the comments at heading of the text. Shielding all parties with clear intent stated. Members will know what is salt,what is hot pepper..etc

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:35 am 

Hi, Iamdenteddisk,

I guess what you describe did not happen on this forum????
Imho everything placed in the download section is free to be used and modified by all forum members!

There have been some discussions on licencing somewhere on this forum (don't remember where) .
If one does not want someone else to use ones code(snippets), simply don't publish it....

So, yes, use the 'tab template' as you like! Look forward to see what you do with it.

Regards, Aat

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:30 pm 

Thanks for the reply Aat,thaks also for the code share. Not only for what is learned by reading the code but also for the time saved developing another method.
To answer your question to, no it didn't happen on this forum.
I have been lurking basic code since it was born so I have a membership on about every forum,nostalgia bbs still in existence. Except one..one that I had loved like a child for mabe 10 or so years. That was qb64...anyway.there was that issue which I explained above then a second falling out that took place there that ended in me being booted for life when the creater admin refused the blame that caused the situation and chose to be angry at me for not withholding the truth of the situation from. The rest of the forum.
at the time a hero member,a part of the founding group who philosophied the foundation of the base language. Yet the scapegoat in the end. Either way I recognize the value of the function you posted and also the value it will have to supporting the developers here.if a good method is adopted for the subject of doing tabs.. its just ground that needed covered by asking a question..thanks again for the share..

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:55 am 

iamdenteddisk, if you like the QB forum, could you not rejoin with a new user name and so on.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:49 am 

Yes, I could do that but two reasons I don't. It would be a dishonest act on my part to do it. Also part of the argument was the direction change the admin made for tthe language.
See it went from relying on pure basic while allowing use of outside libs, to requiring an outside lib to make anything beyond a print statement.
In other words I couldnot write my own tabs method or use one unless I bought a sanctioned lib and gave up ownership Wright's to my own code, because of the way the lib licence was structured. Meaning, if you sold a game you made with it, the money had to go to the lib owner. So in principal, what then is the point of learning or using the language. Let him make his own games...

Report this post