It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:20 am

Welcome
Welcome to rfobasic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today. **You are not required to provide truthful information to any registration questions. Be whomever you wish to be.!

Post subject: Re: new to basic, need help
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 am 

Yes, when I look at the path it looks like the stock browser on my phone has created that and not a gallery app.

I completely missed that sorry!

I tried to delete it with 'rmdir' from a Terminal Emulator, it says it needs to be emptied first that way too...

I thought I might not be able to do it as per Marc's post, but you never know until you try (and I never listen anyway).

Mog

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:55 am 

I'm rubbing my eyes in disbelief, this works!

rm -f /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.sec.android.app.sbrowser/cache/Bitmap/Thumbnail

...With the path to my thumbnail stuff in the shell. So you could, if this is safe to do incorporate this via a SYSTEM command in your app?

That directory has now gone.

Right next thing I did -- done a reboot.

Not there until...

I did an image search on stock browser it came back again this time it's 476Kb.

So it is possible... To manage if it gets too silly in size... Not tested with any other gallery app or what Windows might generate when your device is plugged in.

Mog

Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-03-02-17-47-54.png
Screenshot_2017-03-02-17-47-54.png [ 83.36 KiB | Viewed 428 times ]
Report this post

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:36 am 

Windows doesn't generate anything, besides maybe some volume metadata, but that's about it.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 am 

In mine there are thumbs corresponding to my gallery, but not only. As previously said, some seem related with adds or suggestions appearing in my browsers.
It contains files that your explorer might ask to delete before deleting the folder. Native File Manager does not ask that.
An idea to study: does the .nomedia file in a folder prevent from creating thumbnails for this folder?

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 pm 

One other point to think about is Android does not have a central cache as such, so each app will have it's own.

I think .nomedia dates back to early Android. I'm not sure what versions up to but remember doing something similar on my Gingerbread phone that was lacking in memory. I don't think it works now. I have not tried though.

In DCIM/.thumbnails my Lollipop amounts to 15MB with each file being in the region of 4 - 96Kb ...

15mb is small potatoes compared to maybe the 2GB I have in photos...

We can trash it, but it creeps back no matter what you do.

Sometimes if I upload a picture it's easier to just restart my phone so it gets reindexed and I can find the file in recent docs. (I'm not sure if that is relevant to the Gallery apps media scanner?).

jMarc's post seems to have hit the nail on the head about it.

I guess it's part of the Android experience from a user perspective to make no lag and a fluid UI (which makes sense to me).

Mog

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:26 pm 

.nomedia basically says "please don't scan this folder", meaning the media scanner will ignore it. There are other variants like .nopicture/.noimage, .novideo, .nomusic, if you want to ignore specific media types. Android does have a central media cache/database though.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:44 am 

Mog wrote:
I think .nomedia dates back to early Android. I'm not sure what versions up to but remember doing something similar on my Gingerbread phone that was lacking in memory. I don't think it works now. I have not tried though.
Be sure. I use .nomedia on my Lollipop, in order not to have any resources invading my Gallery when I look for some of my own images.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:00 am 

Mog wrote:

Sometimes if I upload a picture it's easier to just restart my phone so it gets reindexed and I can find the file in recent docs. (I'm not sure if that is relevant to the Gallery apps media scanner?).
When creating by any way an image, the new file immediately appears if I soon open my Gallery.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:15 am 

Mog wrote:
rm -f /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.sec.android.app.sbrowser/cache/Bitmap/Thumbnail

...With the path to my thumbnail stuff in the shell.
You have several .thumbnails generated by various apps. Here is one of them. You have also one created in DCIM.
The one, I refer as "mine" into my replies here, is: sdcard/.thumbnails

Last edited by Sprougnaf on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:54 am 

.thumbnails is just image thumbnail cache along with .thumbdata, the central cache i mean is the Media Database, which keeps track of all media files on your device

Report this post