It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to rfobasic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today. **You are not required to provide truthful information to any registration questions. Be whomever you wish to be.!

Post subject: Sintax error when using UTF8 encoding of .bas file.
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:21 am 

Dear developers,
I Am facing strange issues. I have tried to translate one sample .bas program shopping.bas to Czech. I have used Akelpad and I have exported .bas file by using
Codepage: 65001 (UTF-8)
And after compiling program I Am getting Syntax Error in line 1.
In The following line.
array.load menu$[], "Vytvořit nákupní seznam", "Nákup"~
When I saved .bas file by using default Ee-ansy code page 1250 encoding, there was no syntax error. But instead of this error, Czech specific characters have been displaied incorrectly. Characters like
áÁ č Ť ň, ETC.
So if I want to write GUIs with support for Czech specific characters. Do I have to use HTML mode because of it?
HTML mode uses WEBwiev Android component and this component requires more CPU cycles while using screen reader to get data from HTML page. The most simple interaction witht screen reader is reached when developer uses standard Android build in controls. For example list wiev created by select command. By using Input, print, ETC.
There are many visually impaired users, who are using mobile phones with only 1 GB of RAM and with Android 5.1 or newer, and I want to make GUIS which will interact fast with screen reader.
I AM sad, that Basic do not support button, comboboxes in console mode, but it is very probably The issue, which would not be easy to solve for developers.
Graphic mode is ideal solution for sighted developers and in some cases, some of us are using graphic mode in combination with webwiev. Big respect, I know, that this kind of GUIS or clean graphical mode based programs are looking very good for sighted users.
But developer who would want to develop for visually impaired users of assistive technologies can not use this component.
Android native activity of C++ NDK compiled apps also can not be used by screen readers. Developer must use GUI Toolkit which is compatible with build in Android explore by touch service.
Thank you very much for yours support and advices.

Post subject: Re: Sintax error when using UTF8 encoding of .bas file.
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:24 am 

Have you tried saving as other encodings e.g UTF-16 ?

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:59 am 

Thank You very much for yours fast response.
Akelpad save as dialog support The following UTF related encoding styles:
1200 (UTF-16 LE)
Or
1201 (UTF-16 BE)
I will try both of those choices. And I Am sure, that syntax error have been caused by wrong encoding. Because when I have translated by using Czech characters without Czech specific chars, there was no problems.
I would be very sad, if I would had to use HTML mode for all GUIS. I have used various basic interpreters. And fortunately, Rfo-Basic is very similar to Mbasic from 80S, even though many new command specific for Android.
You are very supportive and kind people. Yours Basic language will enable many visually impaired developers to create Android applications. I know, that my future apps will never look so smart like apps which have been created by GW library or graphical mode, but it will be apps for visually impaired users of screen readers such as Talkback or Shine+. So I AM ready to accept The fact, that console based apps will never look ellegantly for sighted users. And that program will not look profi while using various screen sizes.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:24 am 

Dear core developers,
I have started to use
BASIC! Launcher Notepad++ flavour
And I have installed Basic for Android to test and debug apps. And When I have created .bas file with BASIC! Launcher Notepad++ flavour there was no syntax error. So Mr Nicolas had right, that it is always good idea to use some Basic editor firstly. So I Am very sorry for my questions. Now I can debug and develop very fast and effectively. And all specific Czech characters are correctly displayed.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:40 am 

Glad you solved your problem Jan ;)

Happy coding!

Nicolas