It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Welcome
Welcome to rfobasic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today. **You are not required to provide truthful information to any registration questions. Be whomever you wish to be.!

Post subject: Javascript side effect from Chrome browser?
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:22 pm 

Ok so this is weird... It seems like the problem with keeping my HTML app in HOME mode is influenced by the Javascript switch in my Chrome browser. If I block all Javascipt in Chrome browser app then my voCal app runs fine without any periodic crashing. Surprisingly too the Javascript in Opera Mini doesn't seem to effect things negatively and I can run web pages with javascript inside Opera without any side effects. So I am wondering if this is an odd Webview problem or maybe just some more glitches in my html/css code.

My Webview version is 53.0.2785.124
Chrome version is 53.0.2785.124
Android version is 6.0.1

Post subject: Re: Javascript side effect from Chrome browser?
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:41 pm 

Weird indeed, did you google it? If it's a real symptom, surely other programmers had the problem to.

Nicolas

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:49 am 

Could just be another app on my phone behaving badly.. i probably wont worry about it unless my users complain. As a precaution I blocked javascript in Chrome and just use exceptions if i need to which is probably a good idea anyways.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:07 pm 

cterp wrote:
Ok so this is weird... It seems like the problem with keeping my HTML app in HOME mode is influenced by the Javascript switch in my Chrome browser. If I block all Javascipt in Chrome browser app then my voCal app runs fine without any periodic crashing. Surprisingly too the Javascript in Opera Mini doesn't seem to effect things negatively and I can run web pages with javascript inside Opera without any side effects. So I am wondering if this is an odd Webview problem or maybe just some more glitches in my html/css code.

My Webview version is 53.0.2785.124
Chrome version is 53.0.2785.124
Android version is 6.0.1

This should not be happen, because:
https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/webview/overview

My tablets:
___________________WebView________CHROME
Blaupunkt 5.1.1 39 (20150604-arm) 1.71 MB 49.0.2623.105
Lenovo 5.1.1 46.0.2490.76 APK 30.81 MB 43.0.2357.93
Medion 4.4.2 in Android System 53.0.2785.124

I did not test it, but it seems that the settings are shared. (Maybe the same directory)

For someone who is on the way without the GWlib some tips and tricks with WebView at:
https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/webview/tipsandtricks

Gregor

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:47 pm 

Thanks for the info..

I am thinking a better hypothesis for me to check is that this is just another possible memory management issue, possibly SQLITE or BUNDLE related because crashing decreased when i disabled hw accel and enabled the heap memory and when I encapsulated more code inside functions. Perhaps turning on javascript in chrome changes memory resources available to SQLITE, Bundles and other memory hungry structures? I think i may just have some lists and other things that arent getting recycled properly in my code.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:30 pm 

Does seem much better now but I did remove quite a few bloatware apps on my phone like Facebook messenger..

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:10 pm 

I changed the HTML.LOAD.URL's to GRABFILE/HTML.LOAD.STRING's and it seems to crash less frequently coming out of HOME

Still a problem though.

It's probably not that important since my app boots up pretty fast on newer phones so I can still live with a 2 second launch on my J3 until I can devise some experiments to try to figure out the source of the problem. Probably better for battery life not to have it churning away in the background anyways.