It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Welcome
Welcome to rfobasic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today. **You are not required to provide truthful information to any registration questions. Be whomever you wish to be.!

Post subject: Re: AUDIO.LOAD/AUDIO.PLAY & FLAC
Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 pm 

You all didn't catch the point.

FLAC is missing in the manual, period.

None of you would have said anything if I told you "MP3" is missing in the list.
-------
For the off topic:
If you haven't got enough space and can't attach an SD card, ok, than FLAC is of course a bad choice, but I guess you can stand the "bad quality".
Hey, in the 80s we recorded mono FM or even AM radio program to CrO2 cassettes:-)
Those who ruined their ears with iPhone headphones, they won't hear a difference between a highend HIFi and such a 80s walkman cassette tape.
I always laughed about those audiophil nerds; okay, most of them are ridiculous. Ever heard a discussion of "hearable" difference of qualities of glass fibre cables? :-)
But since my daughter has an absolute pitch (and seems to have an eidetic memory for sounds and voices), she even hears differences between different CD recordings of the same songs (which I had to verify with audio software because I couldn't believe that). So don't laugh that much since I know about that.

For me less processor capacity needed means less battery power needed, which is another plus.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:51 pm 

Actually FLAC is still compressed, it is just using a lossless algorithm.

also it's cpu usage depends on the bitrate, same as an MP3. it can even eat more cpu than an MP3 file. and honestly the difference isnt that much.

the quality and cpu usage itself largely depends on many factors, hardware vs. software decoding, whether you have a DSP, the encoder used and possibly more.

there's really no reason to keep a ~40mb file when you can have 4mb with the "same" quality. unless you are a musician who needs losless audio, or someone who converts from one audio format to another on a daily basis.

CDs are another topic, and it depends on the source file and write speed used. this is where FLAC would come in, minimising the quality loss.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:16 pm 

mideal wrote:
You all didn't catch the point.

FLAC is missing in the manual, period.

So are AIFF, AU, PCM, APE, WV, M4A, Opus, Musepack and ATRAC...
I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Until we don't try to load and play them all, we can't be sure they are or are not supported by Android player (and thus BASIC!)

The manual list of audio file types supported is not an exhaustive wikipedia list. The phrasing specifically say it is up to the user to test whether one format or another is supported by his Android device:
Code:
The Music Player is supposed to be able to play WAV, AAC, MP3, WMA, AMR, OGG and MIDI files. I have tried MP3 and WAV files. Your mileage may vary on these other file types.

mideal wrote:
None of you would have said anything if I told you "MP3" is missing in the list.

Because MP3 is -by far- the most widely used audio file format.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:39 am 

Where is this audio player project mideal and was it written, or how is it linked with BASIC!?

I'm still convinced that chips in your phone can't replicate that sort of sound quality. I'm afraid I can't back that up :(

I was thinking... I'm sure my phone unofficially can support up to 128GB in an SD Card. What would a typical album be in FLAC 4.5 to 7.7GB?

Yeah, erm audiophiles. There was this bloke in the UK in hi-fi magazines that told you that if you clean the lacquer of your mains plugs it would improve the sound quality... Maybe it was the same one that also sold gold plated mains plugs too, and this is no joke sold stickers that if you put them on your records that would improve the sound quality as well.

I tried to Google to back up what I remember, as this sounds unbelievable!

Mog

Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:19 am 

a typical album (12 tracks) in FLAC is like a single CD - roughly 600 to 700mb. a typical album in MP3 (good quality) however is about 100mb (12 tracks)

Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:52 pm 

Higher random frequencies suffer in encoding.... mp3s of White noise and snares have a lot of shimmy which I really do notice quite a bit on decent speakers and headphones. I only hear to about 14kHz as I am getting older so pretty soon I probably won't notice much in a couple years. I do regret that I encoded some of my old albums at 128kbps instead of 256kbs or 320kps.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:00 pm 

Hi mideal.

I'm sorry, if I hadn't been forced onto crutches last week I'd have seen this sooner, thanked you for the advice, and updated the manual accordingly. We might have avoided all this. Of course, we'd also have lost the stories of unlikely radio receivers and Wi-Fi on the brain.

You seem to have caught evolbug in a picky mood. This is not unusual -- if this were a social group he'd have probably been banned the day he registered. But it's not, it's a technical forum, and he does make real contributions. However, he does seem to be a little sensitive about size.

Nicolas, when Paul wrote this section of the manual, he simply copied the list of supported formats from the Android docs, and added that he himself had tried only two. It has no more or less significance than that. The docs he copied from may have been as recent as Gingerbread, 2.3, but I really doubt it.

A LOT has changed since then. And it keeps changing. Look here. A new audio type was added in 5.0!

So, thank you, mideal, for showing me that the manual's Audio File Types section needs an update. I'll take care of it ASAP.

If you find something else that needs changes and updates, please post again. I promise I will take care of that, too.

Alas, I can't promise you won't catch any flak.

- Marc

Unread postPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:42 am 

Marc wrote:
However, he does seem to be a little sensitive about size

But I mean... size does matter yknow :P

Unread postPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:52 am 

:lol:

Well-played, Dan! And, for what it's worth, I feel (some of) your pain. My phone is my test platform and both for BASIC! and for work, besides being my mobile internet and map access and, well, my phone. I didn't get the bargain you did ($50?!), but I buy cheap. If I didn't have a removable SD card I'd never manage.

- Marc

Unread postPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:45 pm 

any lossless audio algo (including flac) is about 50% of pure wav. you decide you need 128GB/64GB or 8/4Gb storage (losless or lossy)