It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to rfobasic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today. **You are not required to provide truthful information to any registration questions. Be whomever you wish to be.!

Post subject: Version v01.87 released
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:31 pm 

Version v01.87 is up on BinTray.

It is on its way to the Google Play Store. If it is not there yet, it will be soon.

You can download the new version by clicking this link.
There are release notes here to tell you what's new, and for the whole story view or download the updated manual, De Re BASIC!.

Here are the release notes, copied from BinTray. I hope they are complete. Please post if you know of something I missed.
We fixed a lot of crashes; some were new in v01.86 and some were much older, but fairly rare.
It has only been about two weeks since v01.86. I didn't realize we'd made so many changes until I started writing the list.
Quote:
Fixes
  • Fixed v01.86 crash on any device with Android version before 3.0
  • Restored part of a previous TGet crash fix that was missing
  • Crash if GR.Open immediately after GR.Close
  • Null-pointer crash when GR.Clip optional parameter is omitted
  • Null-pointer crash in GR.Get.BMPixel if bitmap was deleted
  • Multi-command bug when SQL.Update used with continuation lines
  • New Byte.read.byte bug
  • Error when user-defined function parameter and argument have same name
  • False syntax errors in string expression parser
  • Editor Menu->Format error: bad indenting
  • GR.touch initialization error
Enhancements
  • New functions TRIM$(), LTRIM$(), RTRIM$()
  • Let LEFT$(), RIGHT$(), and MID$() functions count argument take negative value
  • New commands JOIN and JOIN.ALL
  • New commands TEXT.EOF and BYTE.EOF
  • Add "Save and Run" option to Editor menu
  • Apply Preferences "Console Menu" option to TGet menu
  • Allow labels anywhere in a multi-command line
  • Improved syntax error highlighting for errors in functions
  • Reduced repeated messages on some errors
  • Turned off animation in TGet
The enhancements are described in more detail in De Re BASIC!, the user's guide and reference manual of BASIC!.

Post subject: Re: Version v01.87 released
Unread postPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:21 pm 

I've made another pretty big infrastructure change -- one step closer to the goal of running the interpreter as an Android Service. Along the way I fixed a couple of bugs. As with any large change, there is always the possibility I added a few new ones. With that in mind I've put a new test build on Paul's FTP server. Two reasons, really: one is to give you a chance to try out the bugfixes and new features since v01.87. The other is to get some run-time on my changes, so you can help me find what is broken.

Download the test build v01.87.01 from http://laughton.com/basic/programs/apks/Basic_18701.apk EDIT:Original post linked to the wrong version.
Here's what has changed:

- Nicolas fixed a couple more bugs in the Edit Menu-->Format operation.
- Fixed a problem with spaces around the ''~' line-continuation marker.
- Fixed a "Stopped by user" bug in TGet.
- Added a parameter to STT so you can change the title of the dialog.
- Allow STT to reuse an existing list for its possible text strings.
- Allow moving certain Editor Menu Items to the Action Bar.
- Save and Run with an existing filename does not offer a save dialog.
- Default filename when saving from the Editor is now "default.bas".
- Save path is remembered, just like Load path always was.
- GR_Collision(0 and GR.Bounded.Touch work if left > right or top > bottom.
- Fixed a race condition in Debug, and reduced Debug battery use.
- Fixed a crash caused when Debug attempts to print nested function names.
- The infamous "Program ended with DO without UNTIL" (also FOR or WHILE cases) does not happen unless DEBUG is ON.
- Console.Line.Touched is valid with no OnConsoleTouched: interrupt label.
- Bugfix: OnGrTouched: interrupt label does not interfere with GR.Touched command.
- Soft keyboard does not immediately disappear when a key is tapped.
- Fixed some problems (but not all!) with HTML and BACK key.
- Interrupts are no longer prioritized: they are serviced in the order they occur.
- There is a new interrupt label, OnLowMemory: -- but I have not been able to test it.

I appreciate any testing, especially anything involving interrupt labels, the BACK key, or the MENU key. Just run your existing programs and see if they still work.

Thank you!

- Marc

Unread postPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:29 pm 

I've put another test build on Paul's FTP server, v01.87.02
http://laughton.com/basic/programs/apks/Basic_18702.apk

In the last test build, the BACK always shut down Graphics mode, even when trapped with OnBackKey. This version fixes that bug.
There are also these changes:
- BASIC! will no longer try to restart itself after a crash.
- However, if you're running from the Editor, and you put BASIC! in the background, and the system kills BASIC!, when you restart BASIC! the Editor will come up with your program loaded.
- The GR.get.value command can now get multiple values.

The floodfill threads are spawning some good requests, and I am interested in chaand_13's work. I'm sorry that I didn't see it in time to put anything in this test build.

- Marc

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:08 pm 

I've put another test build on Paul's FTP server, v01.87.03
http://laughton.com/basic/programs/apks/Basic_18703.apk

The two big, exciting changes are:
- gikam and chaand_13's bitmap floodfill! The command is GR.BITMAP.FILL bitmap_ptr, x, y
EDIT:My original post said FLOOD. That's wrong. The command is FILL.
- mougino's hardware-accelerated graphics! Turn it on with the Preferences screen. If your graphics don't work, turn it off and try again.

There are also these changes:
- Commands that create bitmaps do not throw an error if there is not enough memory for the bitmap. They set the bitmap pointer to -1. You can test the bitmap pointer to see if you really got a bitmap. If there is no bitmap, you also get an error message you can read with the GETERROR$() function.
- The Audio.load command does not throw an error if it can't load the audio file. It sets the audio file index to 0. That is not new, it has always done that. But now the error message you get if you try to use that invalid file index is a little easier to understand, at least if you're using the manual for reference.
- When you UNDIM a string array, the strings are destroyed, too. In a big array, this could release a lot of memory. This is something Cassiope34 requested last December.

Please try running this test build and post any problems you find. I am especially interested in hearing about things that do not work with hardware acceleration on; perhaps we can get some of the failing cases fixed before the next release.

- Marc

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:04 pm 

Well, that didn't last very long! There is an error in v01.87.03: you can't turn hardware acceleration off. That's fixed, and now there's another new test build on the FTP server: v01.87.04.

See the Hardware acceleration topic for discussion.

- Marc (this time for sure!)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:44 pm 

I have marked v01.87.01, .02, 03, and .04 all BAD on the FTP server. I renamed them so you can't accidentally download them. All the v01.87.xx links scattered around the forum are now non-functional.

These test builds have a dangerous bug, described in this thread: http://rfobasic.freeforums.org/saved-files-are-corrupted-in-v01-87-02-t3438.html. If you use install any of these builds and use "Save and Run", it destroys the file you try to save.

v01.87, released on Bintray and the Google Play Store at the end of April, does not have this bug. It is new in v01.87.01.

The bug is fixed in source on GitHub. I'll make a new test build v01.87.05 later this evening.

- Marc

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:38 pm 

Test build v01.87.05 is on the FTP server. Bugfixes and features as announced in previous posts, but the only changes in this build are
- big bugfix: Save and Run
- little bugfix: avoid using "unnamed program.bas" as a default file name

- Marc

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:11 am 

Test build v01.87.06 is on the FTP server.

Please test this code! The soft keyboard changes -- and a lot of things going on in Real Life (TM) -- have delayed version v01.88 for weeks, it is very late.

This code completely overhauls the soft keyboard management in Console and Graphics mode. It is not backward compatible with old apps that use the soft keyboard. Hitting a key does not close the keyboard any more.

Commands:

KB.SHOW
Show the keyboard. Works in Graphics mode. I don't think it works in HTML mode.
Works in Console mode, BUT ONLY AFTER YOU PRINT SOMETHING. This is not new, but it is very strange.
You do not need a PAUSE after KB.SHOW. It will wait for the keyboard to show up.

KB.HIDE
Hide the keyboard. Works in both Console and Graphics. I don't think it works in HTML.mode.
You do not need a PAUSE after KB.HIDE. It will wait for the keyboard to close.

KB.TOGGLE
If keyboard not showing, show it. If showing, hide it. Same rules as SHOW and HIDE.

KB.SHOWING <lvar>
If the keyboard is showing in Console or Graphics mode, set <lvar> to 1.0 (true). Otherwise set it to 0.0 (false).

OnKBChange:
Keyboard change interrupt. If the keyboard changes run the code at this label.
This code runs if the keyboard changes because of a KB.SHOW/HIDE/TOGGLE, or if you close the keyboard with the BACK key.
It does not run if the keyboard closes because you change screens.

KB.RESUME
After an OnKBChange: interrupt, this command returns to the program where the keyboard change interrupted it.

BACK key:
If the keyboard is open, hitting the BACK closes the keyboard. It does not close the current BASIC! screen, and it does not trigger an OnBACKKey: interrupt. However, it does trigger an OnKBChange: interrupt.

For a detailed description of the change, see GitHub Issue #193: "Soft keyboard".

One more non-keyboard change: I rearranged the Preferences screen, and there's a new Preference item setting how to display the background when the Console has empty (unwritten) lines. It can be the text background color (default) or the color of the lines between text lines. Nicolas already offers this option in QuickAPK.

Thank you!

- Marc