It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 7:55 pm

Welcome
Welcome to rfobasic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today. **You are not required to provide truthful information to any registration questions. Be whomever you wish to be.!

Post subject: Gr.Orientation on Nexus 6
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:06 am 

This is apparently device dependent, but it seemed worth a mention.
It is an oddity which occurs only on my Nexus 6, where the 'control buttons' (Home, Back, Recent) are shown as symbols at the bottom of, but overlaying the screen. It does NOT occur on my Samsung GT-P5110 Tablet where the buttons appear in a dedicated 'toolbar' also at the bottom of the screen.

The peculiarity arises whenever the program changes screen orientation (from 0 to 2 or vice-versa, using Gr.orientation).
On the first attempt to use the 'back' button after an orientation change the button simply highlights but has no other effect. To get the 'back' action to work I need to tap WITHIN the screen area, a short distance ABOVE the button symbol. This is on the first use after the Orientation change, subsequent touches on the symbol itself work fine.

As I say above, this seems to be on the Nexus 6 only, but has anyone else experienced this, on that or other devices?
Peter

Post subject: Re: Gr.Orientation on Nexus 6
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:42 am 

I doubt a bug. Could be points of interest on this post...

true-screen-height-t3393-10.html

Mog

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:42 am 

Thank you Mog.
Yes, that thread was relevant and interesting.
I didn't really suspect a BASIC! bug, but possibly an Android bug which might affect and confuse our Users.
It has become quite common practice,now that 'Menu' key is obsolete, to use the 'Back' 'key to bring up a menu or exit the app. It is a shame if they/we can't always trust the back key to be where it appears.
I was just hoping that this was a known problem with a known solution.
One can dream!
Peter

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:05 pm 

I don't fancy on screen buttons... I've seen the screen shots here and not my cup of tea at all.

Unfortunately there is no way to "kill" the navigation bar without root.

I found this so maybe it is programmatically possible with a command in BASIC!?

https://developer.android.com/training/ ... ation.html

?

Mog

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:24 am 

you should never even think of trying to kill the navigation buttons if you dont have hardware ones, they are part of systemui, so either you would modify a system apk which could lead to instability or kill the app entirely, which would kill your whole system ui (its called systemui.apk for a reason)

this is not a bug, this is simply not yet implemented if it doesnt work; hiding the statusbar should also hide the navbar, i think post-kitkat it's called "immersive mode"

android advances faster than BASIC! :/