It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to rfobasic

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today. **You are not required to provide truthful information to any registration questions. Be whomever you wish to be.!

Post subject: About Improved adaptive-ness of GW pages
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:34 am 

Hello Nicolas,
mougino wrote:
  • Improved adaptiveness of GW pages: INPUT controls now act the same on a small smartphone screen & on a bigger tablet screen
    (i.e. the label always stands on its own line. If you want it inline with the control use a SHELF)

Could you rather do the opposite : if the user want absolutely the label and the input line on 2 different line he can but by default please stay the behavior like before ?
The forum have lost most of its attached images, and we can no longer attach a bitmap so I can't show you but before this change all GW_INPUT... were automatically adjusted : on the same line on my tablet and on 2 lines on my smartphone.
The object of my post about GW scale is that on my 2 devices with very different screen size (see my signature) the controls had visually arround the same size : so too big for my little Samsung A3 and normal or too small on my 8.4" tablet !!!
To my mind there was an automatic adaptation done by jQuery Mobile but in the bad way by default...

I must stay with the v4.4 because without doing anything a page has seen its number of lines doubled and its buttons are found now outside the page. I don't want a scroll on this page. (The record creation / editing page)

mougino wrote:
  • Added support for thumbnails and 2-line cells for LISTVIEW control.
    See the new cheatsheet table for GW_ADD_LISTVIEW() as well as the updated demo > Basic controls > Listview
Nicolas

unbelievable! This is exactly what I was going to propose to you :D

And also the NavBar that's a nice and very flexible control ! For example you can see the 3rd party icon sets of the Navbar section ( the Glyphish icons are very fun :) )
It can even integer the menu control : see the Navbars in headers

Cheers

Gilles

Galaxy A3, 1280x720, Android 6.0.1

Last edited by Cassiope34 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: About Improved [b]adaptive[/b]ness of GW pages
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:54 am 

Cassiope34 wrote:
Hello Nicolas,
mougino wrote:
  • Improved adaptiveness of GW pages: INPUT controls now act the same on a small smartphone screen & on a bigger tablet screen
    (i.e. the label always stands on its own line. If you want it inline with the control use a SHELF)

Could you rather do the opposite : if the user want the label and the input line on 2 different line he can but by default please stay the behavior like before ?

Sorry but no, here is why, as explained by Luca.
Also, I did not change the behavior it is the same as before :) at least on smartphone form-factors. There was an inconsistency with tablets that is now fixed (but not the way you want, I understand that). You can always use a SHELF with a GW_ADD_TEXT on the left and a CONTROL with no label on the right, this is all explained by Luca in the post I referenced.

Cassiope34 wrote:
The object of my post about GW scale is that on my 2 devices with very different screen size (see my signature) the controls had arround the same size : so too big for my little Samsung A3 and normal or too small on my 8.4" tablet. To my mind there was an automatic adaptation done by jQuery Mobile but in the bad direction by default...

I agree! And that is why I made it act the same now on tablets and on phones!

Cassiope34 wrote:
I must stay with the v4.4 because without doing anything a page has seen its number of lines doubled and its buttons are found now outside the page. I don't want a scroll on this page. (The record creation / editing page)

And here we are in the same debate as old legacy RFO BASIC! Vs new retrocompatibility-breaking BASIC! 2.0 ;)
It's same with my lib, I cannot make everyone happy. Either I remain static (hear: I stop all enhancements), I freeze the lib, and people from now and people in 2 years will experience the same old behavior, they can run a code from years ago it will render exactly the same on the screen.
Or I enhance. I fiddle with things a good deal, I add new stuff but also I change old inconsistencies, and people will need to change their old code to benefit from the new lib, it will need work on the user part...

So who decides ?

Nicolas

Post subject: Re: About Improved adaptive-ness of GW pages
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:31 am 

I vote for evolution. Iron-clad backward compatibility is usually good for very mature projects with a huge installed base (and even in that case many famous open-source projects opt for controlled incompatibilities in order to get rid of unwanted legacy behaviours and allow innovation).
For small, young and experimental projects 100% backward compatibility is a good recipe to stall, choke and in the end kill the project.

Luca

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:37 am 

I know you vote for evolution Luca.
But Gilles votes for stability.
Every time I make something different in the lib I get a complaint.
So again who decides ?

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:52 am 

I guess it will be you. :)
Depends on the style you want to give to the project: evolutionary vs conservative.
Both of course are legitimate.

A compromise could be:
- Backward compatible whenever possible;
- Controlled incompatibilities when necessary for fixes and improvements.

Luca

Post subject: Re: About Improved [b]adaptive[/b]ness of GW pages
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:41 am 

mougino wrote:
So who decides ?

Nicolas

What is that question Nicolas ?
you share GW and obviously you decide what you want for it and users decide to use it or not. It's as simple as is. There's no question here.

So I would rather have said : "As I already shared a version of my small app DataPass with GW v4.4 that suits me, I do not change anything yet while waiting to see if I can do better with future versions of GW."

mougino wrote:
Every time I make something different in the lib I get a complaint.
Nicolas

You speak about me ? complaints ? what's that ? Are you kidding ? Me who makes so much effort to be constructive in my posts despite the poor google translator :oops:

What do you want to do about adding Navbar control to GW?

Gilles

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:38 am 

We don't have the same notion of "constructive", sorry:
Cassiope34 wrote:
More seriously when you run a code with a GW version and it work well then only the GW version changes (and not any word in my code) and the program crashes, please be honest : what comes to your mind first ?

post34623.html#p34623

Nicolas

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:40 am 

I'm taking a little break from the lib for the Xmas period, focus on family and relax.
I'll look at the Navbar control in 2017.

Nicolas

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:05 am 

If the updates are known and documented, I don't see much problem in losing backward compatibility. And GWlib has been well documented so far.

-------------

Hisense Sero 7 Pro (Tegra 3 7" rooted tablet - Android 4.4.4) / Moto G 3rd Gen (5" quad core rooted phone - Android 6.0).

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:19 am 

Happy Christmas & happy new year Nicolas and to the forumers.

Gilles